Chapter Ninety-Nine



As night fell, however, the longtime monarch would not stay quiet for long. "What is the matter with you, Alexandra? Stuffed full with cake? Or with something else?"
"Shut up, mother. My sister just got married. I'm in no mood to hear you argue tonight."
"Well, you're going to, Alexandra, because I've got a lot to say."
"That doesn't mean, mother, that I will be listening."



"Alexandra, goodness, child, what on earth have you done to your hair? It looks like a child took a pair of scissors and cut it all off. Do not tell me you actually paid someone to do that."
"I happen to like it," Alexandra retorted. "It's very low-maintenance. All I have to do is wash and go."



"Look, Alexandra, I haven't figured out why Anastasia won't speak to me, do not tell me you're going to freeze me out too."
"You know what, mother, that's between Ana and you. Do not involve me in that."
"But you could at least try to talk to her and find out why she isn't speaking to me."



"About those photographs, Alexandra --"
"Oh, please, mother, I've heard enough about those for the past week and a half --"
"But I need to know. What is the meaning of those pictures? I've looked at them countless times and I have trouble believing that is my daughter. You've got your hand on a woman's backside, Alexandra! That's absolutely unseemly behavior, unbecoming of a princess!"
"What are you upset about, mother, the fact that I was dancing or the fact that I was with a woman? As I told Patrick, we were doing rounds, and it was one song. You act like we're dating."
"Alexandra." Queen Catarina let out a resigned sigh. "I am your mother. You cannot lie to me! I saw those pictures. The looks you were giving that young woman were the same looks I used to give your father. You absolutely know how I feel about that, Alexandra. Now since your sister refuses to release the guest list, I'm going to have to ask you directly. Who was she?"
"None of your business."
"I ask you again."
"And I repeat, it isn't your business."
"Alexandra, this is not a game. I will find out who she is. I promise that."





Meanwhile, Princess Anastasia and Prince Lucian took their first dance as husband and wife.
"I could get used to this," Anastasia murmured seductively.
"We've got the rest of our lives," replied Lucian.
"This was the most perfect day ever. I'm not going to let my mother ruin it."





The limousine was waiting as the snow had melted and turned into a cold rain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment