Chapter Eighty-Three

A few days later, the snow once again melted, and practice began for the equestrian team. Horse keepers were able to bring their steeds out of their stalls to begin getting in shape for the coming season.



There was a history between Devin Huff and Alexandra Vanderburg. Both attended Smuggsworth Prep School and both were on the national equestrian team. And there was no love lost between them.
That much was clear when Alexandra and her show horse, Princess Jasmine (named after one of the lead characters in the Disney movie Aladdin) arrived at the training facility to begin their first day of training for the new season.



"Well, look who finally decided to show up," Devin began snottily as Alexandra approached.
"I've been busy," Alexandra replied, "if you haven't noticed."
"Yeah, with your reality show world tour. If I didn't see you and your sister on the cover of every darn magazine this side of Bridgeport I almost died of shock."
"Hey. I joined the military and went to college. It hasn't been all glitz and glamour, fun and games. What have YOU been doing?"



"I've been keeping up with this team, since I've been the only consistent member." Devin continued to shoot barbs at Alexandra. "I had to tend to my personal horses. It's really been a lot of work."



"Look, Devin, I've been in training to become an astronaut. I enrolled in the royal flight academy here in Hidden Springs and then I enrolled in advanced technological studies at the university. I don't need to explain anything to you."
"You know, while you were off engaging in your little hero fantasy --"



Alexandra, noted as the more even-tempered of the twins, grew uncharacteristically hot. "I beg your pardon? Hero fantasy? What are you talking about?"
"This dream, Alexandra, of doing something heroic, being recognized as a hero. You're half a man, anyway. I was going to petition the board to let you compete in the men's division -- except there isn't one."



"You know, Devin, I'm way past letting the likes of you bother me. You made our lives hell at Smuggsworth, especially my sister. She came to me crying every day because of something mean you and some of your friends said to her. You used to make pig noises to her every time she walked past. She locked herself in our dorm room and at times refused to come out. It was terrible. Neither of us have forgotten."
"She deserved it, she was huge, did you remember how big she was --"
"Nobody deserved the way you treated my sister." Alexandra rose her hand up and slapped Devin across the face. Angrily she boarded Jasmine and rode off into the night.

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Devin deserved to be slapped!
    We've all known girls like that and I can't stand them.....

    ReplyDelete