Chapter Eighty-Two



Prince Renauld heard a knock on his door. "Come in!" he announced jauntily. It was Alexandra.
"Dad, I need to talk to you."
"I already know, Alexandra. I've known for a long time. I wasn't at the graduation in body, but I was there in spirit. Do you not know that in this form I can be everywhere at the same time?"
"Dad, I know that, but, don't you get tired of being a ghost?"
"Sometimes being a ghost is fun, but sometimes I miss being alive. Sometimes I miss the bear hugs I used to give you and your sister. But the two of you are not little girls anymore."
"Dad, you know I've been working on an experiment with the time machine that if successful would bring you back to life --"



"Alex, sweetheart, sometimes things don't need to go back to the way things were. Sometimes things need to change. Sometimes the people around us need to change. Like I told your sister before she got engaged, I know you do not want to end up alone. That basement below the garage, I had that special place built for the two of you. I bought the show horses, the athletic equipment, the chemistry set. The minute I said "I do" it became not about me but about we and the minute the two of you were born it became not about me and your mother but about the two of you. I understand that you're a free spirit and you like to do things your way and you're hard-headed and stubborn and independent just like your mother. I get it, Alexandra. I get it, I truly do. But to be truly free, you have to let some of your freedom go. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

No comments:

Post a Comment