Chapter Seventy-Six



"It's happening, girl!"
"What did you say?"
"What do you expect?" Anastasia laughed.  "How can I resist this?"  Proudly she showed off the five-carat diamond rock on her left ring finger.



Alexandra tapped her sister on the shoulder and gave her a hug. "I'm so happy for you!"



"She said yes! She finally said yes!" Lucian excitedly told his future father-in-law.
"That's terrific."
"You cannot tell your wife my secret though. Under any circumstances."
"That you're my daughter's favorite doll come to life?" Prince Renauld chuckled. "Well, I'm a ghost currently. Anything else unusual about this family we need to know?"



The next morning, the royal press corps went to work on the newly engaged couple. But Lucian, now dressed in a dapper tuxedo, could sense immediately that something was amiss with his fiancée.
"What's wrong, baby?"
Anastasia sighed deeply. "Even now, Lucky, that we're engaged, I can't be totally happy, because we're not complete yet. The four of us."
"Oh, you mean Alex and Patches."
"Yes, and you and I both know Patches was a girl. Alex will never be truly happy with Patches being a boy. She knows it, I know it, and you know it. Unfortunately, my mother is so incredibly close-minded that she'll deprive Alex of her true happiness, of her true self. Alex doesn't deserve that. And, Lucian, I will never do to our children what she's done to hers. Ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment