Chapter Eleven


Anastasia kept her word. She didn't tell the queen -- but she did tell one other person.
Crown Prince Sebastian was good at keeping secrets. After all, he'd kept a huge whopper of one from his mother for years -- that he not only knew of Princess Francisca's whereabouts, but was in constant contact with her.
So Anastasia met with the Prince over breakfast.
"How'd you like the art table I sent you?" asked the Prince.
"It's a wonderful gift," Anastasia smiled. "There was a close call the other day, though, she almost caught me with it."
"Well, I'm glad you liked it."


Anastasia changed the subject. "There's something I have to tell you."
Prince Sebastian perked up. "Really?"
"Please don't tell mom."
Shaking his head, Prince Sebastian leaned closer. "Uh oh."
"Alex enlisted in the military."
Prince Sebastian's jaw dropped to the floor. "Are you serious?"
Anastasia shook her head up and down.
"Wow. Mom is going to flip."
"I know. That's why you can't tell her."
"Wha --" Prince Sebastian was stunned. "Wow. This -- this is unreal."
"I know it is. She is undergoing combat training and going to flight school to become an astronaut."
Prince Sebastian cracked a wry smile. "Wow. I'm proud that Alex has such a lofty goal, and am going to support her in anyway I can."


"I've got a surprise for you," Alexandra said, meeting AJ with her mother's van.
AJ looked at her with trepidation. "Where are we going?"
"You'll see."
"Where are you taking me?"
"Can't tell you yet. But I just know you'd enjoy it."



"You better not be jerking me around."
"Come on, AJ, it'll be fun."



Alexandra had scored advance tickets to the disaster flick of the century, 2012: The End of Time. The story follows 3 Sims -- a police officer, a doctor, and a firefighter as they cope with a meteor attack and an alien invasion.
"How'd you get these?" AJ wondered as they walked inside. "This movie doesn't come out till next month!"
"Hey, you forget I have connections?" she laughed.



"Wow, I can see why that movie is going to be a hit in theaters," AJ mused as they walked into the local gym.
"I told you you'd enjoy it."
AJ nodded reluctantly.
"So," Alexandra said, unsure if AJ was listening, "tell me about your family. Any brothers and sisters?"
"Three sisters and a baby brother."
"Wow. Three sisters? You the oldest, youngest, in the middle?"
"Oldest."
"Hmm." Alexandra paused for a moment. "Actually, I'm a twin."
AJ managed a chuckle. "You mean there's two of you?"
Alexandra laughed. "Actually, my twin sister is very different from me. We're fraternal twins. But she's my best friend in the world. I don't know what I'd do without her."



"I'll race you in rock climbing."
AJ chuckled again. "You -- rock climbing?"
"Sure."
"Ok." AJ shrugged his shoulders.



"Let's go!"
The pair raced each other up the spokes. AJ had an early edge but Alexandra caught up.



Alexandra had gained an edge when....



BAM! She slipped and fell, laughing all the way down.



AJ effortlessly made it to the top. "Ha!"

Alexandra admitted defeat, "Nice work" -- but vowed silently she'd work harder to get herself in better shape. She'd need to.


"Alex," whispered Patches, "it's three in the morning."
Alexandra took a deep breath as she grabbed a snack from the fridge. "He's great," she gushed, speaking about her companion for the evening, Andrew Cheesman, Jr. better known as AJ. "He has three sisters, his mom's an adventurer, his dad's a professional athlete. I'd really like to get to know him better. Hang out some more."



"You want to see more of him?"
Alexandra shook her head and sighed. "Absolutely. I really like him, a lot."

1 comment: