Chapter Twenty


"I don't know why I let you talk me into this stuff," Alexandra chuckled to herself as she and her twin sister, Anastasia, came upon the gypsy caravan.
"Relax, Alex, it'll be fun."
"What is it?"
"Fortune teller."
Alexandra shook her head. "Oh, I've seen the psychics on the TV, it's a bunch of hogwash."



"You go in first while I'll wait out here."



Alexandra ran into the wagon while Anastasia waited outside.


Many thoughts raced through Anastasia's head about how her life had changed since she and Alexandra went under the knife for life-altering plastic surgery. Opportunities had opened for them that they likewise would not have seen. A modeling contract sat on her desk, but she was going to postpone it in order to finish work on the family crypt. Alexandra had enlisted in the military, which now required her to keep up a grueling fitness regimen, making it very unlikely that she would ever regain her excess weight.
Of course, in the midst of all that, their beloved father had passed away suddenly.


Alexandra returned from the caravan after three hours. "So?" Anastasia asked while going in. "What did she say?"
Alexandra shrugged her shoulders. "I dunno, I guess, things were going to get better within ten days. I wasn't paying attention, really."
As she walked into the caravan, Anastasia laughed. "You'll get it."


The next morning, Anastasia took Alexandra inside the crypt, which was a work in progress. "Wow!" Alexandra exclaimed, looking around, "this is incredible. You designed this?"


"Uh-huh," Anastasia replied gleefully. "That over there is where dad is going to be. And I've reserved two spots over there just for us, but that's going to be a long time yet."


"I found Lucky."
Alexandra's mouth flew open. "No way!"
"Yeah, really, I did."
"Where was he? I know you were looking for him."
"I don't know. I checked my backpack this morning and there he was."


"I left him at the reception hall after Sebastian's wedding. I thought he was gone forever. But last night the psychic told me where he was, and I found him!"
"Ana, I'm really happy that you found Lucky! I know you'd been looking for him." "Yeah," Anastasia said silently, twirling a strand of her hair around her finger. "I'd missed him."


Alexandra paused for a moment. "But -- I have to tell you something too. Patches came back the night dad died."
"Wow."
"Remember when we were little girls, when we packed our dolls in our bags for Smuggsworth, and mom thought we had thrown them away?"
"Yeah."
"Our dolls will never leave us again. Ever." The twins' air-tight pact, made as children, was still intact now that they were young women. 

1 comment: