Chapter Nine


The alarm clock stirred Alexandra out of her deep slumber. She hadn't slept this well in quite awhile, since probably before her father's death.


But now it was 5 am. She was going to basic training in an hour. This meant a quick shower and a brush of her hair.


It had been a week since her father's death, but that didn't make the pain of his loss any easier to bear. In her mind's eye, she could still feel his bear hugs and hear his hearty laughter. She could still sense his presence all around the palace and inside of her. She hoped she could measure up.


Just as she was leaving the bathroom, she spotted Anastasia standing beside her bed. "Hi, Ana," she greeted cheerfully, or at least as cheerfully as you could expect at five-thirty in the morning.


Anastasia, however, was not in the mood for pleasantries. "Ugh! Where are you going?"
"To work," Alexandra replied, "basic training."


"Basic training? What?" Anastasia asked with disbelief.
"Yeah," Alexandra repeated herself. "Basic training. I enlisted in the military."
Anastasia shook her head. "You're kidding, right?"


"No, I'm not." Alexandra had a wide grin on her face.
Anastasia muttered, "No way," with incredulousness. "You did what? I can't believe you, Alex!"
Alexandra let out a deep sigh. "I know. I knew that -- I knew that you were going to react this way."
"You damn right!" Anastasia let out a deep sigh. "I can't believe you didn't tell me! We tell each other everything!"
"I know, Ana, and -- and -- I'm sorry. I knew you would react this way."
"You think I want my twin sister in a war zone? Or in space? This is -- this is unreal, Alex! You -- in the military? Can't you pick something else? Seriously!"
"It's done, Ana." Alexandra was resolute. "It's done."
"You know mom isn't going to like this, right?"
Alexandra nodded. "Yeah, I do. That's why I haven't told her yet."
"Alex!" cried Anastasia. "Alex, this is crazy. Of all the things -"
"It's what I want. It's what I've always wanted. I'm training with combat rifles to fight in wars if I'm needed, and then I'm going through flight training in order to become an astronaut. I don't want to live a life stuck in a palace sipping tea and crepes. Besides, dad approves. I want him to be proud of me. "

No comments:

Post a Comment