Chapter Fourteen


Queen Catarina, monarch of Hidden Springs, was doing everything in her imperial power to regain control over her own daughters. She froze their accounts and denied them access to their trust fund.
And she was positively livid over learning that the oldest of her twins, Alexandra, had enlisted in the military and enrolled in the flight academy without her knowledge or consent.


"Alexandra Maria-Louisa!" exclaimed the Queen. "With the eyes of the entire world upon us, this is how you behave."
Alexandra sat up straight, but was puzzled. "What?"
"You gallivant around here like, I don't know, some common jezebel."
"What are you talking about?"
"The other night, Alexandra, at your father's funeral. Who was that young man you were with?"
"How'd you know about that?"
"I've people around here that observe everything, and report to me. Identify that young man."
Alexandra rose. "I will not! We were only talking. Is it a problem even speaking to someone outside of the inner circle?"
"Produce the name of that young man so I can have my team do a full background check."
"I will do no such thing! He is entirely innocent. I approached him, not the other way around."
"You are aware, Alexandra, of the ultimatum I have made to you and your sister."
"Yes, and it is, quite honestly, the most ridiculous thing you've ever come up with."
"The two of you will marry within 2 sim weeks or forfeit your inheritances. I've made my decision. I've had enough of you. Your television show, your career choices, and you, Alexandra, you in the military is absolutely the most absurd thing ever. I've had enough."
"I've joined the military reserves and the flight academy. It's not a big deal, really, mother."
"How can you say it's not a big deal?" Queen Catarina took a deep breath. "I've no idea what's gotten into you, Alexandra. It seems like ever since your father died you've been hell-bent on sending me to the grave along with him."
"It's your ideas I want to send to the grave, mother. They deserve to die a painful death."
"I beg your pardon, Alexandra!"
"This is the twenty-first century, there are women in the military all the time. My father told me I could do anything I want. And I believe him."
"But not every woman in the military is a member of this family, Alexandra!" Queen Catarina inhaled deeply. "After your sister ran away, I had no idea that I'd have to deal with another defiant daughter."
"You can't keep Ana and me under your thumb forever, mother. We're young adult women now."

No comments:

Post a Comment