Chapter Thirteen


Queen Catarina called her daughters in for an impromptu formal dinner. They showed up in their like cocktail dresses, which had been designed by Anastasia.
"Girls," she began, "I've come to a decision.  I'm giving the two of you an ultimatum. You are to marry within 2 sim weeks or forfeit your inheritance."


"You can't do that!" shouted Anastasia. "That was left to us by our father. And we're adults. We should have access to that money, it's our birthright. It belongs to us."


"But, as his widow," Queen Catarina said with a smile, "I am the executor of his estate and am allowed to distribute funds as I see fit. As it is, girls, I am absolutely appalled at your recent behavior. The television show, the plastic surgery, and that horrid display at the funeral. And Alexandra, you enlisting in the military was just --" She lost her train of thought. "What Francisca did was horrible. Completely broke my heart. What the two of you have done, there are no words for. I've no intention of allowing the two of you to just do whatever you please."


"So you think you can punish us by withholding what rightfully belongs to us?" asked Anastasia. "That's ridiculous! We're not five years old, you know."


"Ana, calm down," pleaded Alexandra as she gently tapped her sister's wrist.

Queen Catarina continued. "Unless the two of you marry within 2 sim weeks, you will not see a dime of that money. It is time for the two of you to think about the future and the rest of your lives. I won't be here always, and neither will your brother and sister-in-law.  That doesn't mean, girls, that I won't help things along." She went on to tell them that she'd arranged a ball and invited princes from all over to seek their hand in marriage.


Later that evening, after they'd changed out of their clothes, the twins went into private council. "I've got a great idea!" Anastasia whispered, her eyes lighting up. "Why not have a costume ball?"

No comments:

Post a Comment