Chapter Forty-Five



A couple days later Anastasia met with her mother again in her study.
"I cannot believe you, Anastasia," shouted the queen. "You are going to postpone your wedding -- to go off to study?"
"Why not? My mind is made up," Anastasia replied resolutely, folding her arms and turning away from her mother. "You are not going to stop me from going, because this is what I want."
"Architecture school? Anastasia, of the most ridiculous things --"
"This is an opportunity for me to learn more about something I'm passionate about. Why can't you understand that, mother?"
"Just like I told your sister when she enrolled in the flight academy, I'm not paying for your little fantasy."
"You won't have to, mother. With the combination of my transcripts from Smuggsworth, my architecture portfolio, and the money I have earned from previous jobs, I'm sure I'll have enough to manage. In fact, mother... I have a job right now."
Queen Catarina's mouth fell to the floor.
"The owner of Lars DiscoTech has hired me to remodel the nightclub. I'm being handsomely compensated."
"Anastasia, you're working at a nightclub?"
Anastasia sighed with exasperation. "Mother, did you listen to a word I said? I'm not working at the nightclub, my job is to redesign the nightclub. Renovate it to give it a fresher look. You know what, I don't know why I'm wasting time with you, because you already have preconceived notions in your head --"
"Anastasia, I have no idea what you're talking about."
"Mother --" Anastasia took a deep breath. "Mother, do you know who I am?"
Queen Catarina was defiant. "Of course I do. You are Princess Anastasia Maria-Teresa, youngest daughter of the Queen of Hidden Springs."
"No, that's not what I meant. Mother, do you know what my favorite food is? Or my favorite color? How about what kind of music I like to listen to? That's my point, you have no idea who I am. You don't know me. You never took the time to get to know me. You never took the time to get to know Alex either, beyond the fact that you hate that she likes to play sports."
"Anastasia, that's not true --"
"It is true, mother, admit it. Alex and I were nothing to you but replacements for Francisca. And Daddy -- he was just a sperm donor."
"Anastasia, you know that's not true. Your father and I loved each other very much. When he died a piece of me died with him. And the nerve of you to stand up here and say the things you are saying."
"It's the truth, mother. It's the truth." Grabbing her portfolio, Anastasia walked out of the room.
"Anastasia Maria-Teresa, apologize this instant!" Queen Catarina shouted, in vain as Anastasia was already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment