Chapter Forty-Four



The next morning, Queen Catarina called her twin daughters into her study.
"I just got a letter from my cousins Stefan and Leah. Their daughter, Aurora, is getting married in the spring."
Alexandra and Anastasia fixed indifferent glares at their mother.
"She has asked that the two of you serve as bridesmaids."
The girls snickered. "We hardly know her," Alexandra reminded her.
"Yes," said Queen Catarina, "so this is a good opportunity to get to know that side of the family."
Queen Catarina showed the girls the photograph of Aurora and her groom that Leah had sent them.
"She looks like a proper princess," Alexandra remarked sarcastically after studying the picture.
"Yes, she sure does," agreed Queen Catarina, "the way the two of you SHOULD look."
"You know what, mother?" asked Anastasia. "I wish you'd stop comparing us to her."
"I was not!" Queen Catarina got defensive.
"Yes, you were. You've always compared us to her. And we've always fallen short. You get angry because Alex would rather be outdoors, playing some sport, and I'd rather be in my room drawing."
"Anastasia, I never compared you two to anyone. It's just that, I believe the two of you should look and behave like proper princesses, and you're not doing that."
Alexandra piped up. "You know, mother, have you thought about maybe our definition of being a princess is different from yours?"
"In what way, Alexandra?" the queen asked with a stiff upper lip.
"You want us to get married and stay home to bear children when maybe perhaps we might want to do things on our own, such as traveling and learning new things and meeting new people."
"Alexandra, I cannot believe the nonsense that has spilled from your lips."
"How is it nonsense?"
"You are a princess, Alexandra, and representing this commonwealth in a royal fashion is a part of who you are and what you do."
"I can do that without getting married and having children," Alexandra resolved.
"And this college thing, Anastasia, is absolutely ridiculous. Architecture school?"
"Yes," Anastasia replied. "And I begin in March."
"Yes, and so is the wedding."
"We're not going to the wedding," decided Alexandra. "Well, I can't speak for Ana but I'm definitely not going."
"I'll be in school then," Anastasia reminded her mother, "so I'll definitely not be available."

1 comment: