Chapter Thirty-Nine



Anastasia's twin sense was in overdrive. Alexandra would have called by now. Something was up.

Pacing around the living room, she frantically dialed Alexandra's cell phone.  No answer. And again. Still no answer.



Finally, after several hours of dialing, Anastasia heard her sister's voice on the other end. "Alex, is that you? Thank the Watcher you're alive!"
"Hi, Ana," Alexandra began breathlessly, "yeah, it was a close one. It's rough out here and the connection is horrible. You can't hear yourself think with all the wind and blowing snow. I just got your messages, all twenty of them."
The pair managed a laugh.
"I'm okay, Ana, I think. Had a rough go of it getting here, though. I was just able to get into an area where I could get a reception on the phone. Patrick and I are here sorting out the supplies that came in for the earthquake victims and making sure the heating is working at the shelters."
"Be careful. It's getting worse out there, from what I can see. Hope you get home safely."
"Yeah, we'll probably be back in tomorrow."
"I love you."
"I love you too."
They laughed again as they ended the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment