Chapter Thirty-Eight


While Alexandra and Patrick were out braving dangerous conditions up in the mountains, Anastasia received a phone call from Crown Prince Sebastian.
"Hey, big bro. What's up?"
"Just the person I wanted to talk to, Baby Sis."
"Really?"
"Yes, really."
The pair's phone conversation lasted nearly two hours and touched on a variety of topics.  
"How are the festival plans going?"
"We've got everything together, so you and Ella don't have to worry about anything. It starts tomorrow."
"Any thoughts on postponing it? You know the storm --"
Before Crown Prince Sebastian could finish his thought, Anastasia replied firmly, "Nope. We're still going on with it. Snow or no snow."
The prince laughed. "You sure are bloody stubborn, Baby Sis."
"I know," Anastasia smiled.
"All you Vandy gals are."  The prince laughed again.   "Speaking of which, you say you plan to go to Sims University?"
"Yep, as soon as Snowflake Day is over and the weather clears. And of course, mom is going ape about it."
"Why am I not surprised?"
"Because you've read this script before. And you know how it ends."
"Yep, you're going to go anyway."
"Of course." Anastasia managed a chuckle.  Changing the subject, she asked about Sebastian's two young children.  "How are the babies?"
"Emmanuel is fine. His birthday is coming up soon."
"So that means he's starting school. Already? Wow. How time flies."
"Yes."
"Any thoughts about his education?"
"Well," Crown Prince Sebastian thought, "since he is an heir to the throne, I've been thinking Alpine Community School for generalized study --"
"You're sending him to public school?" Anastasia sounded surprised.
"Why not? He needs to get to know his future subjects."
Anastasia agreed silently. "What about Eleanor?"
"She's fine, too. She's got a little case of the colic, though. Must be the cold."
"Oh, one more thing before I go. I told Alex that mom contested dad's will, and the matter is before the magistrate. He's set to rule on it this week. Although, Ana, just between you and me, I can't see him throwing it out. The will names you and Alex as dad's sole heirs and leaves you a significant amount of money -- including property in Monte Vista."
"Monte Vista? Really?"
"Yes. His birthplace.  It's out in the countryside. Really lovely property. There are pictures in the will."
"May I see them sometime?"
"Sure, when you come by the public services building."
"I've been trying to reach Alex, I know she went up on the other side of the mountain with the deliveries. I'm worried, her phone isn't working."
"I'll see what I can do from here, and I'll let you know with any word. Okay? Bye, sis."

No comments:

Post a Comment