Chapter One Hundred Eleven





Lucian sent his brother pictures of two nurseries, while he waited for Anastasia to give him the one thing he wanted more than anything else.



Meanwhile, in Oasis Landing at the training facility, Patrick shuffled out of bed and went to the pod to order synthesized toast. To him, synthesized toast tasted a bit plastic, but it did the trick to satisfy hunger for a time.



For Alexandra's part, Patrick's inquiry never did cross her mind. All that was on her brain was the star charts she'd been studying religiously.



That and the books she'd been reading about robotics.



Alexandra, for her part, was having way too much fun with her new toy, Vanderbot.



And taking courses in bot building to build her own mechanical creatures.



"Dr. Relevart --"



"Yes, how well are you doing?"
"There really is a crashed spaceship?"
"That's not for me to say, that's for you to find out."
"Hey, you know the future, why can't you tell me?"
"Why do you think I recruited you?"



"Relevart keeps mumbling about a door to a crashed spaceship."
"You never did answer my question, Alex."
"What question?"
"Don't pretend like you don't know."
"I -- I don't know."
"Come on, Alex. I've been asking since before we got here."
"I -- I don't know, Patrick. I'm not sure."



The next morning Alexandra woke up and ate breakfast with Patrick, as usual. But there was a different tone to the conversation. "I had a strange dream last night," she began.
"Oh?"



"We were married and we'd had a daughter, and she was completely out of control. She'd been brought in by the police late at night after having broken her curfew again --"
Patrick had a bevy of questions. "What did she look like?"
"She had very blond hair, yes, and it was crinkled. She had my nose and eyes, yes, and your complexion I think."
"I see."
"So, we were both trying to talk to her, and she had this look in her eyes, almost vicious, like she wanted to kill me. It was really a strange dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment