Chapter Seventy-Three



After the festival ended, Lucian took Anastasia to a local lookout point, where a hot air balloon was waiting. "Oh, Lucian...you didn't?!?" Anastasia exclaimed.
"I sure did," Lucian said, "because there's something I need to say to you."
"And I you." She poured two glasses of sparkling cider. "Look, Lucian, I'm sorry --"
"Sorry for what?"
"Sorry for the way I've treated you. Look, those two weeks away, you know, I've gained some perspective, on a lot of things. And there are some things I need to change. And one of them is, I can't see you anymore."
"You're breaking up with me?"
"Lucian, you're a great guy. Please, don't take this the wrong way. At a certain point in my life, when I was a different person, you were my rock and my strength and at times my only friend. I see no reason why our friendship shouldn't continue even though we've been romantic."
"Annie -- w-what are you saying? Because I have another surprise for you."



A few minutes later they returned home, and Lucian gave Anastasia a massage.



He got down on one knee and pulled out a glistening diamond ring.



"Annie -- Anastasia Maria Teresa de Ghent Vanderburg -- will you marry me?"



"Oh my god, oh my god, Lucian --" Anastasia began to sob uncontrollably. She was frozen. She didn't know what to do or what to say. And she certainly didn't have an answer for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment