Chapter One Hundred Ten



"Here's a jetpack, Alexandra," began Dr. Relevart while beaming from the portal. "Your first task is to get accustomed to using it. Future Sims use it a lot while traveling to and fro."
"A jetpack?" she asked.



"This jetpack stuff sure does take some getting used to," mused Alexandra as she jerked above ground.



"But I can't say it's not fun." However rocky the flight was, she managed to land on two feet.



That evening as the pair prepared for bed, Alexandra told Patrick about her new job.
"Just what do you do?"
"I'm in the astronomer career path. Right now I'm taking advanced astronomy courses and learning more about space. Patrick, I couldn't pass this up. It's a dream come true. When I was five years old and I said I was going to be an astronaut, I said I was going up into space, nobody believed me except you and Daddy. And now, look, I'm here. And I'll be darned if I didn't make the most of this opportunity."



Just then a robot with a camera barged in to take a picture of Patrick and Alexandra while they were in bed. Uncharacteristically, Alexandra was incensed. Raising her voice to an unseemly level, she shouted, "I beg your pardon! People are trying to sleep! Will you get the hell out of here with that camera before I reach over there and break it?"



Because neither of them could sleep after that distraction, they decided to take a walk outside. "You know, Alex, for a minute there, you actually sounded a little bit like -- like -- like your mother."



Alexandra laughed. "Really?"
"The Dutch accent and the inflection in your voice. You actually sounded like a princess."
"That's because I am a princess, half-wit."
"Yeah, but you sounded like one. You look like her when you wrinkle your eyes like that too."



"I gotta ask you this one question."
"What is it, Patrick?"
"All this time, it's been bugging me. Ever since Anastasia's wedding."



"Marry me, Alexandra. Let's do it. Let's end this charade right now. Man, woman, I'll do whatever. I'm yours for life."

1 comment: