Chapter One Hundred Thirteen



The next morning, Alexandra had resolved to get to the bottom of Atom Beaker. Her instincts told her something was up, but she couldn't figure out exactly what.



"What is this?" she asked Patrick at breakfast, just before heading out to the observatory.
"It's called the 'sphere of destiny.'"
"What's exactly in this stuff? Looks like a roll baked into the shape of a ball."
Patrick laughed. "That's pretty much what it is, Alex."
"You know, Patrick, I wouldn't eat that if I were you."
"Why?" he wondered, "it's delicious."
"Atom Beaker fixed it last night."
Patrick let out a fierce cough. "That guy gives me the absolute creeps. The way he was watching me --"



Then, after changing clothes, she sped to the planetarium on her windcarver to give a star talk to Oasis Landing schoolkids.



Later, while at the Erutuf, a lounge across the main highway from the observatory, Alexandra received a phone call. She thought it was from Anastasia, whom she hadn't heard from since she left Hidden Springs, but no. It was Atom Beaker. "Meet me at City Hall at 6 o'clock," he demanded. "I'd like to get to know you better."
"Listen to me, Beaker. My time is valuable, and you better not be a waste of it."



Sure enough, Atom Beaker had been sitting on a bench outside of City Hall, waiting for Alexandra. When he saw her coming, he rose from his seat and walked towards her.



"Alexandra Vanderburg?"
"That's me."
Atom stared at her. "You look different in a dress. More ladylike."



"Hah, just came from delivering a star talk and a tour of the planetarium. I'm in jeans most of the time."
"Have to say, for a new arrival here, you surely get your way around."



"I'm an astronaut in training. My job is getting around."



"I see. Well, do you mind if I bounce an idea off your head?"
Alexandra grimaced. "Sure, why not?"



Alexandra listened intently as Atom described an elaborate plan to rid the world of most humans -- except the ones he saw fit to leave behind -- and instead populate it with sinister mechanical creatures and flesh-eating bugs, a plan that had first been hatched by his mega-scientist father, but expanded upon by Atom himself.



After several minutes of listening, Alexandra shook her head. "It'll never work."



Atom hung his head, discouraged. "What do you mean, it'll never work?"
"Just what I said, it'll never work. There are simply too many humans with too much technology and too much sheer will to allow the likes of you to just take over."
"Of course, Alexandra, with you by my side --"



"How dare you, Beaker, try to use me to advance your sinister plot? Your pretty words of flattery cover a black and evil heart. I saw right through you. You'll never get away with this. And when Relevart finds out about this, you are going to burn."
"Hah, you work for Relevart? Really? He's an amateur. My father is the ultimate professional."
"My father is a professional as well, a professional diplomat. He spent years negotiating treaties for my mother. But even diplomats know when the playing field is not even. You do not know who you're playing with!"

No comments:

Post a Comment