Chapter One Hundred Five



Queen Catarina and Prince Renauld were in the queen's study when Alexandra walked in. The prince spotted her first: "Ah, Alex, sweetheart, come in," he said, gesturing her forth and kissing her on her cheek. "We were just discussing you."
Alexandra shook her head as she came closer. "Really?"
The prince nodded quietly. "Cat, I'd like to talk to my daughter -- alone."
Dismissively shaking her head, Queen Catarina left the room.



"Dad, I've been sent on assignment. I'm going to be part of the first crew that goes up in space. I'll be living on the new Oasis Landing colony for at least several months, alongside other astronauts and scientists."
"Honey, I am so proud of you!"
"It's hit me that I'm going to be gone for such a long time. I'm going to miss everybody, especially Ana, and Patches."
"Who's Patches, sweetie?"
"The same as Ana's Lucky, my imaginary friend doll."
Prince Renauld managed a chuckle. "I see."
"Patches used to be a girl, but I changed it to a boy, you know, for mom."
"Baby, you didn't have to do that."
"Yes, I did. You didn't hear my mother make the ultimatum."
"From the vantage point I had in the afterlife I saw everything."
"I want to marry my partner but I know mom would never approve."
"Alex, don't you worry about it. I'll deal with your mother."
"You've never dealt with her before. I realize mom is the queen and all, but you've simply gone along with whatever she says."
"Alex, things are going to be different this time. Thanks to you and your -- brilliant scientific mind -- I've gotten a second chance at life, a second chance to make things right for you and for your sister. I know that I've made mistakes -- failing to go to bat for you guys when I should have -- and I'm sorry. I want you to know that no matter who you're with -- whether it's a man or a woman -- as long as that person makes you happy, then I'll be happy. It won't make me love you any less, you're my daughter. Your mother's of a certain generation, and of a certain age, which had certain attitudes about same-sex unions. I also know that you are going to make a d**n fine astronaut."

No comments:

Post a Comment